Friday, February 20, 2009

Good Mo...Afternoon, internet

Sleep schedules being as lopsided as they are for me -- I also eat breakfast during Oprah and dinner during Conan occasionally -- I'm hoping the morning posts will start to be more consistent. Don't quote me on this. Nighttime is my forte, though, so Stuff About Today will hopefully continue as often as I can make my brain funny.

Something I need to get off my chest. Me and Vince have been wide-eyed six year olds about it for about two days now, but really if you're not watching LOST, you don't love America.

If Time Travel were a drug I'd grind it up, cook it on a spoon and pour it directly into my ear. (Assuming that's how you get messed up on it.) LOST is like my pusher, only they enjoy doing it. They know it's wrong to screw around with our lives like this -- with our minds -- but LOST just gives us more, jamming it past our eyeballs every week.

I've heard about six thousand people complain about the fact that the show occasionally doesn't look like it knows where it's going. Problem solved, people. Those string-us-along episodes in the last few seasons are TV protocol: When it looks as if a TV show might last forever, be sure it will. When the producers announced their six-seasons-and-we're-done plan it gave them something to work toward, and then the writer's strike really gave them something to work against, a real challenge. From this point they have maybe a season and a half left to tell what was originally going to be a two-season span.

Thank god something lit a fire under their asses, though, because LOST has not suffered for it. Every second is like brain-mushing gold. Even if I don't understand it all it makes me want to go back to the pilot and search, really search, for things I'd missed. When the show looked like it might last forever, the first season started to drift away and become -- well, lost. Now that the end is (relatively) near, the writers can actually tell a story wherein the beginning matters up to the last second.

Ratings wise it'll always have Idol to compete with, and it's been slipping, but it's still consistently attracting about ten million viewers. In the days of three CSIs, two shows featuring Howie Mandel, and Dollhouse, that's actually not such a bad figure.

7 comments:

  1. I watched the first season and then never picked it back up. Is it worth setting aside a huge chunk of my life to catch up?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is worth actually amputating an arm in order to get your hands (well, hand) on the DVD box sets. So yes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got so annoyed with it towards the end. It would slow down to such a crawl between major plot points. I'm talking Corky on ludes slow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Corky on Ludes.

    They've fixed that now, since they have to jam a ton of info into about 30 episodes. It's actually kind of fun to watch, since they're revealing shit left and right.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After a second look, that reference makes me feel old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fact that I completely understood Corky on Ludes makes me feel just as old.

    Ludes....does anyone even do those any more?

    ReplyDelete