Saturday, March 21, 2009

Farewell Old Friend

I'm going to avoid spoilers, but I promise nothing.

Last night, we saw an old friend pass quietly into the realm of reruns and DVD box sets. It did as it always had, a fine mix of excitement, adventure, deep conversation, life observations and just pure joy for good entertainment. It did as it always had, defied expectations... After years wondering how it would all end, it did as few expected... Happily. And as it ends, it acts as a sort of death cry to one of the last good shows on TV. Our Friday nights will never be the same.


"My career is over!! Yay!!"

I work second shift, so it was a hard pill to swallow knowing that I would not see the initial showing of the Battlestar Galactica finale, and even worse knowing that I wouldn't be home in time to see the recast at 12:11 AM. I felt it in the pit of my stomach, but luckily OnDemand saved the day.

So at 2 AM this morning, I began the journey to say goodbye to an old friend. And I was nervous, as I'm sure many of us were, and rightfully so. BSG has rarely let us down before, but there is always that shadowy figure in the back of every show creator's mind... the one that always says things like "Let's fuck all the people who have made us popular and allowed us to stay on the air for so long. Right in the anus." So I was literally shaking through the majority of the show.

But it wasn't only for the fear of Ron Moore raping my love for great television, I was honestly nervous for these characters and their plight. The Big G has been a home for us for 5+ years also. I didn't want to see Galactica torn to shit and destroyed... I didn't want to see everyone onboard to be absolutely decimated... And most certainly didn't want to see that son of a bitch Dean Stockwell win...

In the end, all was well. I went to bed around 5 completely satisfied. Things were tied up nicely, no one did anything outside of what their character development would allow. Adama was still Adama, Lee was still Lee, and Cavil did exactly what Cavil would do in that situation... even if NO ONE saw it coming.

And on a quick side note, I'm glad they finally brought forth the whole Tori-Cally angle. That really upset me last half-season and I'm glad it was followed up on and resolved. Call me messed up, but I cheered when Dee offed herself and I cheered when this angle came to it's conclusion.

So for once... The survivors of the 12 (13) Colonies got a happy ending. It wasn't the ending they were looking for initially, but it was the ending they deserved. I read that a few people who saw the sneak peek last Monday didn't like the extra tag ending, but I thought it was well done. Sometimes it's nice to see what happens down the line.

So hopefully I didn't ruin anything for anyone, and if you haven't seen it yet... You're in for a good time.D

No comments:

Post a Comment